I told you that I was a roadway of potholes, not safe to cross. You said nothing, showed up in my driveway wearing roller-skates.
The first time I asked you on a date, after you hung up, I held the air between our phones against my ear and whispered, “You will fall in love with me. Then, just months later, you will fall out. I will pretend the entire time that I don’t know it’s coming.”
Once, I got naked and danced around your bedroom, awkward and safe. You did the same. We held each other without hesitation and flailed lovely. This was vulnerability foreplay.
The last eight times I told you I loved you, they sounded like apologies.
You recorded me a CD of you repeating, “You are beautiful.” I listened to it until I no longer thought in my own voice.
Into the half-empty phone line, I whispered, “We will wake up believing the worst in each other. We will spit shrapnel at each other’s hearts. The bruises will lodge somewhere we don’t know how to look for and I will still pretend I don’t know its coming.”
You photographed my eyebrow shapes and turned them into flashcards: mood on one side, correct response on the other. You studied them until you knew when to stay silent.
I bought you an entire bakery so that we could eat nothing but breakfast for a week. Breakfast, untainted by the day ahead, was when we still smiled at each other as if we meant it.
I whispered, “I will latch on like a deadbolt to a door and tell you it is only because I want to protect you. Really, I’m afraid that without you I mean nothing.”
I gave you a bouquet of plane tickets so I could practice the feeling of watching you leave.
I picked you up from the airport limping. In your absence, I’d forgotten how to walk. When I collapsed at your feet, you refused to look at me until I learned to stand up without your help.
Too scared to move, I stared while you set fire to your apartment – its walls decaying beyond repair, roaches invading the corpse of your bedroom. You tossed all the faulty appliances through the smoke out your window, screaming that you couldn’t handle choking on one more thing that wouldn’t just fix himself.
I whispered, “We will each weed through the last year and try to spot the moment we began breaking. We will repel sprint away from each other. Your voice will take months to drain out from my ears. You will throw away your notebook of tally marks from each time you wondered if I was worth the work. The invisible bruises will finally surface and I will still pretend that I didn’t know it was coming.”
The entire time, I was only pretending that I knew it was coming.
Miles Walser, “A Sonnet of Invented Memories” (via retardgrl)
I forgot how having a crush on someone makes you go nuts for poetry.
- musicformen likes this
- yayblaine likes this
- nothingbutgoneness likes this
- map-of-marauding reblogged this from melmariesparrow
- melmariesparrow reblogged this from kaela-ryann
- kaela-ryann likes this
- kaela-ryann reblogged this from pigmenting
- greekbeautyqueen reblogged this from pigmenting
- love-happy-lost reblogged this from vvuoto
- broken-wings-and-stolen-dreams reblogged this from corrodings
- strangek1d reblogged this from eternity-boresme
- eternity-boresme reblogged this from hetkjhfawjtevwhrsdgx
- teenage--riot reblogged this from 0verthink-ing
- 0verthink-ing reblogged this from cardiganorcardicant
- gannonnotthedorf likes this
- titanb00ty reblogged this from cardiganorcardicant
- titanb00ty likes this
- cardiganorcardicant reblogged this from tribute
- cardiganorcardicant likes this
- papierframboise likes this
- minnieripper reblogged this from awwhellwesttexas
- prevailings likes this
- coveting-ataraxia reblogged this from fearlesslywaiting
- fearlesslywaiting reblogged this from nascors
- fearlesslywaiting likes this
- nascors reblogged this from tribute
- nascors likes this
- kazzapond likes this
- awwhellwesttexas reblogged this from tribute
- tribute reblogged this from fleurting
- submarinedust likes this
- dysfunctionull reblogged this from lumpyrug
- dysfunctionull likes this
- lumpyrug reblogged this from thiswasover
- geezdaniellelouise reblogged this from sososohini
- im-the-rabbit reblogged this from im-the-rabbit
- thiswasover reblogged this from pigmenting
- arthistoryandmuseumjunkie reblogged this from pigmenting
- drowningwhales reblogged this from drowningwhales
- ampersandrearasmussen likes this
- tribute likes this
- fleurting reblogged this from pigmenting
- byzantinespice likes this
- d-e-s-o-x-y-n likes this
- obsidianoceans likes this
- could-i-touch-your-butt-if-i reblogged this from simplytobesafe
- could-i-touch-your-butt-if-i likes this
- jadorelecasse reblogged this from vvuoto
- cat-around reblogged this from cometorapture
- cat-around likes this