I told you that I was a roadway of potholes, not safe to cross. You said nothing, showed up in my driveway wearing roller-skates.
The first time I asked you on a date, after you hung up, I held the air between our phones against my ear and whispered, “You will fall in love with me. Then, just months later, you will fall out. I will pretend the entire time that I don’t know it’s coming.”
Once, I got naked and danced around your bedroom, awkward and safe. You did the same. We held each other without hesitation and flailed lovely. This was vulnerability foreplay.
The last eight times I told you I loved you, they sounded like apologies.
You recorded me a CD of you repeating, “You are beautiful.” I listened to it until I no longer thought in my own voice.
Into the half-empty phone line, I whispered, “We will wake up believing the worst in each other. We will spit shrapnel at each other’s hearts. The bruises will lodge somewhere we don’t know how to look for and I will still pretend I don’t know its coming.”
You photographed my eyebrow shapes and turned them into flashcards: mood on one side, correct response on the other. You studied them until you knew when to stay silent.
I bought you an entire bakery so that we could eat nothing but breakfast for a week. Breakfast, untainted by the day ahead, was when we still smiled at each other as if we meant it.
I whispered, “I will latch on like a deadbolt to a door and tell you it is only because I want to protect you. Really, I’m afraid that without you I mean nothing.”
I gave you a bouquet of plane tickets so I could practice the feeling of watching you leave.
I picked you up from the airport limping. In your absence, I’d forgotten how to walk. When I collapsed at your feet, you refused to look at me until I learned to stand up without your help.
Too scared to move, I stared while you set fire to your apartment – its walls decaying beyond repair, roaches invading the corpse of your bedroom. You tossed all the faulty appliances through the smoke out your window, screaming that you couldn’t handle choking on one more thing that wouldn’t just fix himself.
I whispered, “We will each weed through the last year and try to spot the moment we began breaking. We will repel sprint away from each other. Your voice will take months to drain out from my ears. You will throw away your notebook of tally marks from each time you wondered if I was worth the work. The invisible bruises will finally surface and I will still pretend that I didn’t know it was coming.”
The entire time, I was only pretending that I knew it was coming.
Miles Walser, “A Sonnet of Invented Memories” (via retardgrl)
I forgot how having a crush on someone makes you go nuts for poetry.
- thetangofbloodorange reblogged this from ginaginashow
- ginaginashow reblogged this from alrikrache
- ginaginashow likes this
- alrikrache reblogged this from mysoulwasmeantforthesea
- mysoulwasmeantforthesea reblogged this from tooscratchedout
- sighperbole likes this
- gagean likes this
- mirnarebeca reblogged this from pigmenting
- oneing likes this
- starrynightstwinklinglights reblogged this from moreglitter
- moreglitter reblogged this from seafeel
- se-venn likes this
- alaskasforever reblogged this from sinagers
- sinagers reblogged this from nakedandreckless
- disinvest reblogged this from pigmenting
- dennnnis likes this
- xmysteriousxsoul likes this
- thedangninja reblogged this from tamkican
- tamkican reblogged this from jailor
- wewantedtobetheskies likes this
- beautyandthe-breakdown reblogged this from v-ous
- natureless reblogged this from abscessed
- love-exists-please reblogged this from pigmenting
- love-exists-please likes this
- imkindafamous reblogged this from wakingupwiththewolves
- imkindafamous likes this
- wakingupwiththewolves reblogged this from skullcandy
- tobeconvincedoflove reblogged this from lamornesmorris
- tobeconvincedoflove likes this
- stinkypeterson-ized likes this
- lamornesmorris reblogged this from pigmenting
- mmercurial likes this
- tea-rhymes reblogged this from wolfmountains
- munchkin-steph likes this
- jadedzayn likes this
- sparkle-then-fade likes this
- kayleighframpton reblogged this from kayleighframpton
- sinagers likes this
- wvagabond reblogged this from feministmoonbeam
- tidologies likes this
- unorthodoxethiopian likes this
- myreblogss reblogged this from vagina-saurus-rex
- bleepinblidoodle reblogged this from tsadde
- and-then-there-is-you reblogged this from pigmenting
- everythingswhatitseems reblogged this from pigmenting
- blueponchos reblogged this from focloir
- blueponchos likes this
- mini-hugs reblogged this from endchesters
- avarity reblogged this from piningcas